Debt Collection- Know your Rights!
Debt issues can be hard to manage, and calls from collection agencies can make a challenging financial situation even more stressful. Before you pick up an incoming call from any debt collection agency, you must first know your rights!
- Collectors may only call during business hours
- A debt collector may not call you before 8am or after 9pm. No matter the debt you owe, you are still entitled to a quiet morning and evening free of harassment.
- No calls at work (once you request it)
- If your employer doesn’t allow personal calls at work, you must make it clear to debt collectors right away. Once you let a collector know not to contact you at work, they are legally required to stop.
- No continuous calling
- The Federal Trade Commission has explicit laws in place to protect you from harassment. Debt collectors are not allowed to call you numerous times a day about an unpaid debt.
- No verbal abuse
- A debt collector may not use threatening or profane language when contacting you about a debt.
- Debt collectors must send written notice of debts
- Within 5 days of contacting you, a debt collector must send you a written notice of money you owe and the name of the creditor.
For more information on your debt collection rights, or if you feel that you have been unfairly treated by debt collectors, give the professionals at Sam Henry Law a call today to schedule an initial consultation.